Thursday, June 4, 2020

Project 2mm Terrain: Done!!!!!

It's done! Finally finished!
I had a momentary bit of panic when I could not find my 2mm figures. While it's distressing to search and search for something, there was some good that came out of it: I did a little reorganization of my hobby desk/storage, cleaned out one more bin of hobby stuff, found some more 2mm terrain bits, and  found another 15mm tank that I can use for What A Tanker!. 

So in celebration of finishing the project, I put my newly found figures onto the terrain board. The stands represent roughly the positions in the battle of Gaines Mill 1862 at 2:30pm. I didn't put troops in the woods, but I could have because the woods are removable (as are the buildings). As my figures are based according to Antietam and for a different corps, the regiment names don't correspond to the regiments in the battle.

Anyway, here for you enjoyment are some pix:

Gregg's Confederate brigade emerging from the woods to attack Warren's Union brigade

View from above showing Gregg disguised as Wilcox and Warren disguised as Brooke

A third view of the action

From the Confederate viewpoint

DH Hill's division arrives on the far left of the Confederates
View of DH Hill's arrival in Old Cold Harbor. He would continue in this direction until he arrived on the flank of Gregg

Buchanan observes Hill's arrival with a protective swamp to his front

In the centre, Branch is launching his attack to support Gregg to his left. On the right, is Field. On the other side of the creek, Lovell's Unionists await in the woods.

Porter commands from near the Adams farm. Gregg's attack is in the background to the right. Directly ahead is the rear rank of Lovell's brigade.

To Porter's left, Martindale makes his headquarters in Watt's house. Most of his troops are dug in half way up the bank of Boatswain's Creek. To the left of Martindale is Butterfield.

A shot showing Field's Confederate brigade in the centre advancing in the woods of Boatswain's Creek. To his left is the second rank of Branch's brigade and behind him, partially obscured by woods is Pender. Powhite Creek is in the foreground and to the right.

Pender's brigade following Field's.

8 comments:

  1. I've never seen such a beautiful battleboard before! I can't believe this is a game. It really is amazing!

    I will be using your work as a reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually isn't from a game. I took a map from a site that shows the progress of the battle. I just recreated the battlefield at that moment in time.

      I do intend to use it as a battle board eventually.

      Delete
  2. Looks great Ian. Lots of inspiring work put into it. I've been wanting to get back into my 2mm if I can find them but my time is taken by my 6mom and 15s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric...that's 6mm. I HATE auto correct

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er...that's er.... again with the auto correct

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, autocorrecting your correction of autocorrection is funny.

    I'm starting doing some 15mm tanks. I won two FOW El Alamein packs from Trumpeter and I already have 5 T34-76s, so I've got a decent mid-war start (15 tank hulls). I'm trying to magnetize the options so that I can have all the variants available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so great with all the units on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So impressed with what you've done here in such a small scale to tell the story of the battle, this is museum quality stuff. I aspire to do the same thing in 6mm. Very happy to now be following your blog.
    Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete