Saturday, March 6, 2021

Fencing, Again (Part 2)

 Continuing my project from last time, I completed all of the brush between the fence. I then spray primed it grey followed by a brown wash everywhere. This is what the fences looked like at this stage:


I loosely painted a warm grey and then semi-dry brushed white over top. Not really dry but more of a sloppy waving of the brush over the very top surfaces. I followed this up with a black ink wash. As a final step, I painted the base brown and used the same colour to give the brush a little tint so that they would stand out a bit from the rails.


I'm really happy with how I managed to age the wood and get the appearance of grain. The extra time spent carving up the sticks paid off so that they just don't too manufactured.


Because enclosures should have gates so that farmers can enter their fields, I made a couple:


That's 6 feet of fences. I really should have doubled this project but I can make more.



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate this coming from a master builder.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, you totally nailed the aged wood look with these! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Some of it was by design and some happy accident. The design bits were spending a couple of hours scraping the wood with a scalpel and a curved blade that I found. In hind sight, I should have maybe done that before assembly so that I would have better contact points for gluing and a more thorough hacking.

    I'm not sure how much I can replicate the effect because it took a coating of a rust-proofing primer, which I think doesn't like thinned acrylics, a coats of semi-dry-brushed grey, a very thin blank ink wash, a semi-dry brush of white, and then a slightly denser black ink. I did put the tiniest drop of dishwashing detergent in the ink wash. I think the peculiarities of the primer combined with the wash is what really put it over the top as far as effect goes.

    ReplyDelete