Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hot Lead: Dux Britanniarum

My second game was Dux Britanniarum from the Too Fat Lardies. I was unlucky and became the Saxon commander. Well, rank has its privileges so I took the elite troops. I put two bands of warriors on the left and one on the right. The general plan was for the left warriors to go after the levy while my elites threatened the British elites to pin them.









The warriors on the right were to keep the British warriors near the village occupied.

Because of how slow my elites were in the first two turns (I rolled a 7 and then a 5! on three dice for both turns), I was unable to prevent the British elites from moving up to support the two units of British levy. Time for a change of plan then. The Saxon warriors changed the British elites.


(There I am in the foreground sloooooowly mooooving fooooorward,)

After a bloody fight, the Saxon warrior routed the British elites. However, the British were able to avoid significant morale loss but the situation still looked grim for them. 


(Meanwhile, the Saxon warriors on the right decided they wanted to join in the party bashing the British elite but they arrived a little late.)

The British levy turned and attacked the weakened Saxon warriors and routed them. Meanwhile, I turned to the left to go after the British levy but again my progress was slow.


The routing Saxon warriors cost us some morale points. As did the British horse attacking the leader of the routing Saxons. Meanwhile the British warriors followed those Saxon warriors, who turned to face. In a bloody battle in the woods, our Saxons routed one warrior band but succumbed to the other. The British laughed off the loss but the Saxons were worried (yet another miserable roll on the Bad Things Happen table) 

 I was finally in position, ready to charge the levy.

However, before I could do so, the third levy unit joined the others. Then the Saxon morale hit rock
bottom and the battle was over.

This was lots of fun. It was looking like an easy Saxon victory for a while and then the British could do no wrong when rolling for injured or dead leaders and routing units and the Saxons just rolled 5s and 6s.

Even if I had been able to charge in, it would have taken a miracle roll to win that clash. So the Saxons were wise to slink away and eat the stolen sheep (by the Saxon horse who invaded the village)

No comments:

Post a Comment