Friday, April 18, 2014

Hot Lead: purchases

One of my aims of attending Hot Lead was to pick up some figures for Chain of Command. I had intended to use 15mm but I received a box of 28mm late war Americans by Wargames Factory for my birthday. This is a pretty good box but it suffers from two major flaws: there's only 30 figures in the box and there's no heavy weapons. One of the things I was looking to do was rectify these short comings.

My first stop was the bring and buy. I happened to spot a box of Afrika Korps Panzer Grenadiers for Flames of War for $40. That looked good to me.

Well, if your going to do Afrika Korps, you need somebody to face them. A short while later, a box of PSC American Infantry was in my hands. I can use them for Tunisia, Sicily, and early Italy. I'm not sure there's a significant difference between 1943 US infantry and a year later.

But I hadn't abandoned my search for 28mm. My Chain of Command book actually has two duplicate army lists for the Russians. I took this as a sign from Rich that I must have a Russian platoon to play with. Since my opponents already have Germans and Canadian/British, getting Russians fills a gap too.

This lead me to the Russian starter pack by Warlord Games. And if you are going use Russians, you need to provide them with plenty of support to help out against the Germans. This lead me to pick up a maxim gun and an 81mm morter, which I also use as a stand-in for a light mortar.


2 comments:

  1. LOL!! If you're playing Russians, make sure to place the MG's far behind the rifle platoon. That way you're pretty much guaranteed they'll go forward, if not.... there are always more volunteers.... Comrade

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what the NKVD unit is for. That, and collecting volunteers for detecting mines prior to the next assault.

    Oh, I've opened up the box and provided some pix: http://littleleadwarriors.blogspot.ca/2014/05/in-box-warlords-28mm-ww2-plastic.html

    ReplyDelete