Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Beer Interlude: Mons Abbey Dubbel by Belgh Brasse

7/10
This Quebec brewery out of Amos, Quebec (if you are looking on a map for it, find Ottawa and keep going north. No, further north. Keep going. Almost there. Yes, way the hell up there.) specializes in brewing Belgian style beers. Every time I'm up there, I try to pick up a bottle or 5 of their beer.

This one opens with a powerful whiff of bottle-conditioned goodness. It gets an instant head and you have to be ready to pour it immediately. To the eye, it's very dark but if you hold it up to the light, you can see ruby red tones.

It doesn't have an overly strong bouquet. There's a hint of chocolate and coffee. When you taste it, the chocolate comes on strong and the coffee fades away. Other notes replace the coffee. I'm reminded of strawberries and raspberries so this is a good thing. The flavour lingers and the slight coffee returns. Going down, this is a velvety smooth brew.

But it's velvet hammer. It's 8% alcohol and I have an entire bottle to myself that I will enjoy. I shall probably be to blotto to post responsibly but I don't care.

Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment