Thursday, October 17, 2019

Project 2mm Terrrain: Update 7

Woooo Hooo!

✅ 80 ✅ 90 ✅ 100  ✅ 110  120  130  140  150  160  170  180  190

I've completed all the hills on the board! It took a lot longer than I expected but I did get faster as I went along.


Here's the board almost complete with just the corner to go. I finished it the next night. Despite each contour being only 1mm, there's some really substantial valleys in the board.

Things I learned

Well, I've learned a few things that, if I ever do this again, I would do differently:
  • Not do every contour line. I would just do every second contour using the foamcore and use polyfilla to smooth out the contour lines
  • Put reinforcing bars. About half way through, the board started to warp and it's now at about 1/2 inch on both ends. 
  • Cork is a neat material to use. I would use it more often for contouring because it is easy to cut using scissors, flexible, and resists compression. It is pretty expensive if you need to use a lot.

What's next

  1. Add some 1x1 bars to the back to straighten it out.
  2. Since I have decided to keep the contours showing, trim some of the paper overhangs so that all of the contours are clean.
  3. Seal the board so that it won't absorb water when I flock.
  4. Mark the locations of the waterways, roads, and buildings.
  5. Figure out how tall to make the trees.
  6. Figure out where to put the woods and how to do them. One woods is marked on the board. I've seen another map with woods in other locations.

3 comments:

  1. Neat! Looking good! Can't wait to see it flocked.

    Do you need to move the woods? Will units ever want to move through it? If it's basically a diorama/display board and the woods are going to be static, I'd suggest trying Woodland Scenics Clump Foliage.

    https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/clump-foliage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be able to move the woods so that I move troops in it. I have a rough idea of what I want: a floating canopy that's held up by some toothpick trunks. It will be specific to a location and will be using the clump foliage.

    ReplyDelete