Sunday, February 23, 2020

Trumpeter in February

After being snowed out for January's meeting, I wanted to make February's game. I was a little late in arriving but managed to get in a game of Rebels and Patriots but set in the French and Indian war.

It started out two players a side with the British attacking a French settlement. The bulk of the French set up in the settlement. I had the left with a couple of militia units and a unit of Coureurs des Bois. This unit I made the backbone of my defense because of their better shooting. I would keep them at long range and use them to snipe the British. I took the three units on the left and the reinforcements.



This first shot shows after turn 2. The French got lucky with their reinforcements showing up on time and in a good location on the far right. Being veteran line, I had one unit in close order and had it charge a British unit right away. Despite taking heavy casualties going into the fight, I made it to contact. For the rest of the game, the French line would keep pitching into the British unit, slowly grinding down.


Elsewhere, the British tried to shoot their way into the centre. That was going to be tough to do because the French militia unit behind the stone wall mounted a stubborn defense. Eventually, the French got reinforcements to support the gallant militia unit and the British conceded the day.

In this image, you can see the remnants of the final British push on the walled paddock. The sustained and effective fire of four French units concentrated on these two British units proved too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment