Saturday, July 19, 2014

Beer interlude: King Brewery - Vienna Lager

Rating: 56

When I first tasted this beer, I was a little disappointed. It seemed flat and lifeless. It was OK in that you could have it cold and it would be fine.

However, it did have some redeeming features. First, it was free. My wife had won it in a raffle, and as she doesn't drink beer, I inherited it. Second, I had six bottles. I don't throw beer out (unless its Guinness, which I don't like and have never liked) so I ended up with five more bottles to drink.

With additional tasting, I've grown to appreciate its qualities. It has a pleasant tangy taste with slight hints of orange. It's otherwise mild on the palette but hits all parts of the tongue. Whereas my first tasting seemed flat, I now see it rather as mildly carbonated. When vigorously poured, it develops a nice head. But instead of big bubbles, they are the smaller finer bubbles you normally associate with bottle conditioned beers or wheat beers.

Would I buy more? Yes, I think I would. It might not always be my first choice, but it would not be my last either.

No comments:

Post a Comment