Monday, July 7, 2014

Chain of Command: Germans vs Russians

I put my semi-painted Russians up against Justin's Germans at Stephen's place a couple of weekends ago. We had finished a game of Grunts and we just got rid of the few pieces of Sci-Fi terrain.

The scenario was the probe and Richard and I took one of the narrow ends. We pushed hard on the left to claim a good chunk of the relatively close terrain. We topped off the success on the left by adding a minefield to make it hard for the Germans to attack. On the right, we came 4" short of being able to use some woods.

The Germans had a regular Heer platoon and a PzII. The Russians took a minefield and a ATR team. I forgot that I had an extra 3 pts and I could have bought a tank killer team.

The Germans started off by sending the tank down the road in the center and a section on the left. The latter advanced very cautiously.

Foolishly (as it turned out), I put a section on the right. My plan was to break off a team of two and send them off to threaten the lone semi exposed German JOP on the right. However, the Germans now had a target to shoot and the proceeded, over the space of several phases, chew up my section. We made a mistake and allowed the tank to shoot its 20mm cannon and its MG at the same time so my section died quicker than it should have.

On our left. the German advance stalled just before a stream. Seeing that my section was getting chewed up and that we had a double phase, we elected to bring on a section and shoot at the German section. We had some success.

For the next couple of phases, we traded shots, but then the Germans had a major success and pinned the Russian section. Despite a number of turns passing, we never got that section unpinned for the rest of the game.

Meanwhile on the right, I had my ATR team join the beleaguered section. It got one shot off that had no effect. It was gunned down (despite the fact that the shots were split between the section and team, the team took the deaths).

Eventually, my section could take no more and I pulled it back. The Pz went around the woods and took the Soviet JOP (via a double phase and good movement rolls.) At this point, the game was essentially over. The Germans could have advanced the tank to the edge to win, but they decided to shoot up essentially helpless Russian infantry until the Russian morale completely collapsed.

No photos but it was an interesting game. Next time, I'll hold off putting troops on the table until I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment