Sunday, July 27, 2014

Hold the Line - Impetus

So I went to Hold the Line a couple of weekends ago (I would have posted this earlier but my bout of elbow tendonitis is really curbing my typing). It was a small con, but that is to be expected for its first year. Nevertheless, there was a good balance between the number of games to play and the number of gamers to play them.

There were a few vendors there as well and I made a couple of purchases (more on them in future posts) .

The first game I played in was an Impetus battle between Normans and Byzantines. I took the right side of the Normans. My plan was to send my infantry forward in the centre and tire out the opposing troops before hitting them with my knights.


Things started really well for me (and I benefited from some really clutch rolling). After a couple of turns, I managed to take out the opposing horse on my right. In this shot, you see one of my knight units take a Byzantine heavy cavalry unit from the rear after they got distracted by my medium horse. Meanwhile, my infantry were closing in on the opposing line.
Meanwhile in the centre left, things look promising with Norman knights breaking through a cataphract unit and our infantry closing in.


On the far left, it's a confusing mess. But things seem to be progressing. 

Back on the right, my infantry continue to advance and my second knight unit on the right has a clear path to the flank of the enemy battle line.

In the centre, one of my reserve knights plowed into battle and started to push back the enemy foot and cavalry.
Then my dice deserted me and the tide turned.


On the left...Hey! Where did all of our units go? The only ones I see are a line of militia infantry.

Basically, the Byzantines won, but because I had such an advantage with my fresh or almost fresh cavalry, we decided that the Normans would withdraw unopposed.

A very enjoyable game. I really like Impetus as a set of rules and again they did not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment